Re: [OM] Re: Leonid Meteor Shower

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Leonid Meteor Shower
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 20:21:30 -0500
Acer Victoria wrote:

> Hmm, no mount for tracking stars here, just ye plain OM1n and tripod and
> rubberband to hold shutter on B <G> The camcorder has some mode for
> shooting under starry skies or the moon or something...wonder what it is
> (no no, not NightShot). Never tried it, just read it in the manual
> (CCD-TR(V?)43)

Just aim the camera to the right part of the sky on a sturdy tripod and
open the shutter for 10 to 15 minutes.  Just like the startrail
photography you've already done.  The meteors will appear as streaks
against the star background.  As for the camcorder set it for lowlight
if it has such a setting and aim it at the same part of the sky.  You
can review the tape after you wake up.  If you get hooked on astronomy
and astrophotography you'll soon have a proper equatorial mount.

I hope you have a good dark sky as many of the meteors are very faint
and will wash out if there is much light pollution from a city or if
there is much haze.  I observed the last Leonid shower and had a lot of
problem with the hazy conditions that are common here but managed to see
quite a few.  The view from Europe and Africa last year included many
large fireballs and apparently was quite impressive.

Jerry Liles

Remember that nothing is ever foolproof because fools are so ingenious.