Re: [OM] Spot-metering the OM-4(T)

Subject: Re: [OM] Spot-metering the OM-4(T)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:15:17 -0600
At 09:36 PM 10/18/99 -0500, Joel Wilcox wrote:

[snip]

>OM-4(T) owners, when do you use spot metering in auto and when in manual
>and why?

Joel:

I posted this earlier for another list member.  Check out the photo at:

     http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/subpages/wood/wedd02a.jpg

which is one of a series of photos I took at my brother-in-law's wedding (he'd
be the guy in the middle with the shell-shocked goofy grin on his face.  ;-)
I definitely needed spot metering in this situation because we were near the
summit of Whistler Mountain in British Columbia in early August, and behind the
couple, about 100 metres distant, was a semi-permanent snowpack indirectly
illuminated by light coming from the cloudbank which had all but enveloped the
mountainside.  Lots of flare, lots of glare, and about a five-stop difference
between subject and background.  And no flash.

I also used auto.  I didn't have much time to screw around with composition --
just remembering to press the "spot" button before each exposure was hard to
do, especially since right after this photo was taken I and my wife were asked
to say "a few words" on behalf of the bride and groom.  Without the spot, I'd
have been hooped.  (The lament of many others with point-'n-shoots, who ended
up getting Jack Squat for photos out of this particular sequence.  Luckily, the
couple had hired a professional photographer who knew what he was doing.)

As for using spot on manual, not often -- hardly ever, in fact, in my
recollection.  I usually just switch to full manual and do Zone figgering in my
head (old habit from the days when all I owned was an OM-1n).

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/