Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Use of remarks (was Green Flash)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Use of remarks (was Green Flash)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 06:38:30 -0600
At 09:22 AM 10/20/99 +0100, wiliam.wagenaar wrote:

[snip]

>This is typically the sort of comment that goes beyond me, because I am not
>native English speaking. The documents I read and the conversations I make are
>mostly technical, except for this list and family living in Canada. So please
>clarify some of it's meanings. I know a joke is no longer a joke if you heve to
>explain it but you made me curious. There have been other mails (I remember
>some
>from Ken) that had so many remarks in them That I completely lost track but
>knew
>he was joking. I will type what I think you mean

Oh, Hell, I'm feeling lucky (not to mention brave), so I'll take a stab at it:

>"Green Hornet"= ?

A "super-hero" type of character, who has appeared in old radio shows (during
the 1930s and 1940s), an early 1960s television show (which co-starred Bruce
Lee as "Kato," and no one ever remembers who the star was), and comic books,
but is the *only* well-known American superhero whose character has never been
made into a feature film!  (True!)

>"Kato"=Japanese?

Oriental sidekick of The Green Hornet.  Presumably Japanese.  Also the name of
Inspector Clouseau's sidekick in the "Pink Panther" series of films starring
Peter Sellers (*brilliant* comedy!).  Warren gets double bonus points 'cause he
can play off of his last name as a pun on either character, both of which were
highly skilled in the use of Oriental martial arts, and one of which was
extremely funny to boot.

>"Apple pie is favorite"= You are from the southern states?

Mythical favourite baked treat of all Americans everywhere.  Warren's probably
saying "I'm as American as anybody -- I love apple pie!"  Perhaps a rough
equivalent for the Dutch would be "I'm 100 0utch!  I *love* oliebollen on New
Year's!"

>"Yankees"= same

U.S. baseball team, if memory serves (I know it's sacrilege to some, but I've
never followed sports.  I believe the Yankees are sort of the "archetypal"
baseball team, in the same fashion that apple pie is the archetypal American
dessert pie.)

>"Pie has to follow the suski"=?

= "Yes I'm American through-and-through, but I still love the dishes of my
ethnic heritage too."

Warren may now spank me for my presumptuousness at answering questions directed
towards him.  ;-)

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/