Re: [OM] Film Scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Scanners
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:52:18 -0700
In a message dated 10/19/1999 "george" <geanders@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

<< I've decided I need a film scanner (to be used mainly with 35mm
slides).
Most scanning will be done for the web, so the ES-10 is tempting because
of
price, but I really would like the option to get really high resolution
scans when I need them.

Can folks in-the-know contact me offline with suggestions?  Price is
definitely a concern, so best bang-for-the-buck is what I'd be looking
for. >>

Please cc me on any slide/film scanner advice you all may have for
George too.

I have been using a Polaroid Sprintscan 35LE that I am borrowing from a
friend. I need to return it soon and will have to buy one ASAP when I
do. Here's what I know thus far:

Try for the highest density rating possible. If it is too low, you won't
see the spec quoted. Seems that the lowest spec you'll see quoted is 3.0
density.

They say resolution isn't everything, that optics and focus are
important too. Supposedly the ES-10 is good in that regard, but it is
manual focus which can make setup slow. Bit depth and resolution are
certainly a consideration though if you plan to do print output (not
just web publishing). What with photo quality inkjets, Iris printers,
etc. this really should not be overlooked.

Speed is critical for some, not so important for others. In any case, DO
NOT get a parallel port scanner!!!! SCSI or USB is the way to go. If you
are mired in the PC world SCSI cards are pretty cheap and some scanners
do include them now. There is no reason to suffer with parallel port
speeds. (Besides the lack of resale due to that type of port technology
being all but obsolete...USB and Firewire are the future.)

Good ones I am thinking of in the low cost range include the low end
Minolta (Dual?) and Canon models. Both can be had mail-order for not
that much more than the Olympus. Ubid.com has had a bunch of Konicas
lately, don't know if they are any good or not. Ubid had the Minoltas
recently and may get more...keep checking there as they do have some
great deals if you get lucky (and unlike eBay you're buying from them,
not a private party). Slide and film scanners are on eBay all the time
too...but know what the price is supposed to be.

Nikon and Polaroid make the best in the higher end (without going into
the multi-thousand exotics).

HTH

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography