Re: [OM] telescope access whoohoo!

Subject: Re: [OM] telescope access whoohoo!
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 21:51:41 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, W. J. Liles wrote:

:Acer Victoria wrote:
:>
:> Oh, and they're 1200mm and 2400mm, so I can get a complete moon and then
:> some in a frame...and that's not counting the 2X-A being sandwiched!
:
:An f6 1200mm and an f7 2400mm lense!  Big Glass!  Probably not easily
:handholdable (is that really a word?).

The two 1200s (48") are 8" diameter, and the 2400 (96") is, uh, 14"
diameter I think. It also requires two people to handle it <G>
For fun, I took mum's camcorder out this evening (Sony CCD-TRV43; optical
16x, digital 330x), and went after the moon, using manual exposure. At
16x, it was still a tiny little thing. A little digital zooming helped,
but by then, even on a tripod, it was shaking. Image stabilization made
quite a noticeable difference (SteadyShot).
Stars, however, were much harder.
Turns out the Physics dept. also has a CCD camera to hook up to scopes
that they'll loan out for special occasions; right now, I'll stick to
wetfilm, methinks.
I certainly hope the scopes come with a tripod, a huge one, or I'm really
out of luck.

:At the prime focus of mirrors that size a full moon might burn a hole
:through your film without a filter!

Really? Crikey....

You need to try them on nebulae or
:something like the Andromeda galaxy (M-31 I think)with a guided time
:exposure if they'll let you.

I bring the scope(s) home; tell the chair in advance when I want one, and
we set up a time and I drive up to the Physics loading dock :-) Return it
when I'm done. There's an airshow at Norton coming up too; I can stay home
and shoot with that kind of power (airport is 15mins away).

  For the moon you may want to use some
:magnification to get some detail and do it on a waxing or waning moon to
:get shadow relief of the terrain, otherwise a full moon seems washed out
:with flat illumination.

Good idea.

:If you're not careful you'll end up grinding your own mirror for your
:own telescope (I can recommend some good books).  Just think, your own
:f4 10" scope, whatta concept.

Grind mirrors? What's that?
Oh, the prof/dept. chair mentioned he also had some Vivitar thingy for the
scope (when I mentioned Tmount). I'll ask what that is too.

/Acer "steppenwolf" Victoria
--
"...there isn't any way you can work off a conscience--at least so it will
stay worked off; not that I know of, anyway."                   --Mark Twain