Re: [OM] Metering with variable f-stop zoom?

Subject: Re: [OM] Metering with variable f-stop zoom?
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 01:38:25 EDT

>   In the past I've had "constant aperture" zooms, but have recently
>  acquired a Zuiko 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 lens (eBay). The bodies I will be
>  using it on are an OM-3, OM-2n, and an OM-PC.
>    My question is this: On the OM-3, with the lens wide-open, is the
>  meter reading that change in light transmission and showing that on the
>  display (so I don't have to compensate mentally)? It's reading off the
>  sub-mirror live as I zoom, right?

The OM system does not transmit true aperture information to the metering
system but only the relative aperture as compared to wide open. Wide open
might be either 3.5 or 4.5 but the information being sent to the meter is how
many stops less than wide open are you turning the aperture ring. The N*kon
system is an indexed system as does send true aperture information to the
meter and allows a display of aperture information in the viewfinder. This is
something we miss (and I miss) in the OM system, other than the OM77.

Warren