[OM] Digital 'dis & 'dat

Subject: [OM] Digital 'dis & 'dat
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:13:36 -0700
I have not been following too close to the list lately because all the
SUV posts and other things that don't interest me.  However, I did
notice a few questions regarding film scanners and bang for the buck.
It's my opiion that Minolta's scanners have and still do offer by far
the most bang for the buck.  This includes all of them.  I've used three
different models and they all work fine on both Macs & Windows.
Minolta's software is nothing too fancy but does the job.  I'm finding
that I will always have to do adjustments to color in Photoshop
regardless of the scanning software. The best desktop ccd scanner I have
used is the Polaroid 4000. It's worth the extra money if thats not a
problem.  I'm most disappointed in the Nikon line.  The Nikon 2000 does
a good job as to sharpness and dmax but it's got wide swings in color
temp.  I just don't like the way it sees color.  I have never liked
Nikons color temp so that may be me.  For that kind of money the
Polaroid blows it away.

Next, have any of you used the new OM Camedia 2500.  Based on what I saw
of it will be a milestone in consumer digital camera history.  It's
really the first consumer digital that can be compared to film.  As
associate of mine will have one in the next few days so I will put it
through it paces.  Based upon initial reviews, this thing can only be
topped by a several thousand dollar Kodak/Nikon 3 ccd pro versions.  And
even then the quality differences is not that significant.  The days of
film over digital are certainly numbered for those who make their
living, such as I do, from capturing images.  It's also apparent that
Olympus is running away with the consumer high end and this is really
blurring the distinction of pro vs. consumer.

Phillip Franklin