e: [OM] A new (used) OM-4T

Subject: e: [OM] A new (used) OM-4T
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 21:43:06 +1000
Denton Taylor wrote, about the Zone System:

> I agree it does not involve averaging readings but disagree that it involves
> measuring contrast range. It involves measuring the tones of key elements
> within the photo so that they can be 'placed' on the correct shade of grey.

Yes, exactly, you need only one measurement.

Your genuine Zone System geezer with 8x10 mahogany and pack horse
might measure the contrast range to work out how much to pull his
sheet film by. With 35mm colour transparencies, there's little
you can do other than decide not to take the shot. I just check
visually (no meter) for too much contrast before I get the camera
out. Some people actually like the effect when you shoot anyway.

> Therefore the hilite/shadow buttons are a quick and dirty way of placing hi
> and low values.

The highlight is +2 stops (not quite featureless white) and the
shadow -2 2/3 stops according to the manual and -2 1/3 on my
OM-4. What is right of course depends on your film, but +- 2 1/2
is close for Kodachrome and Velvia. More for B&W, IIRC.