Re: [OM] tripods, again.

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods, again.
From: "imagineero ." <imagineero@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:49:01 PDT
>Well Dirk,
>The big question is what are you shooting?  Do you regularly shoot night
>photo's with exposures of a few minutes with a 50mm lense, or are you trying
>to stabilise a big gun for high speed sports action?  Are you planning to
>truck in your equipment or do you have to haul it up mountains on your back? > Do you use it daily or once a year? In the water? xtreme cold or other
>conditions?

well, you're right, I haven't defined the problem to be solved. I think I'd
mostly use it to stabilize a long lens.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright

That still isn't a really exact answer. How big a monster are we talking here, a 600 f4? Assuming it is around 200-300 and not weighing too much, you'd be ok with the lighter bogen legs in terms of support, but you'd lose out in terms of height. I am assuming you are a guy of average height, the smller legs are just to short to get eye level shooting without extending the pole. You're probably not going to be happy with anything you buy for less than $200. You might like to check out phillip greenspun's 'photo net';
http://www.photo.net/photo
and have a look at the tripod reviews. This page is one of the best photographic resources on the net. Ball heads are great for action with big guns, but a good one is not cheap, it would probably cost 2-3 times as much as your legs. Most good ball heads weigh in at aroun $400. One head which is very excellent and cheap and has always gotten good reviews is the 'canon professional ball head' which I think goes for around $70. It is much better than the bogen's. Go for larger bogen legs and a canon head. The cheap bogen ball heads are just that; cheap.