Re: [OM] Low light photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Low light photography
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 10:18:14 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Windrim, Brian wrote:

> ...or possibly a combination of the two? After I finished being a
> student I did some part-time stage/theatrical photography.

[snip]

> was able to compensate to a degree for the
> zoom's lack of speed by using a (fairly) lightweight tripod as a
> somewhat uncomfortable shoulder-brace. In this way I was able to use
> quite slow shutter speeds while retaining freedom of movement. I seem
> to recall that pictures might sometimes be blurred by subject
> motion, but seldom by camera shake.

I've had similarly good results using a monopod with a ball & socket
head. You can tuck the monopod under a shoulder to steady the camera, or
put the other end on the ground and use your own two legs to make a
wobbly-but-well-damped tripod.

As someone else pointed out, the additional mass (and moment of inertia)
helps too.

As this is my first post to this list, perhaps I should introduce
myself.

My name is Ian Nichols and I'm in Bristol, England.  I've had an OM2 sp
for about 18 months now and I like it a lot.  I bought it in the first
place for the spot metering, which has, as I expected, turned out to be
a boon for photographing musicians playing live under artificial light.
That tells you what my usual subject is, too.

One day soon I'll put up a web site with some of the better results on
it.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |