Re: [OM] Spot-metering the OM-4(T)

Subject: Re: [OM] Spot-metering the OM-4(T)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:10:14 -0500
At 04:45 PM 10/20/1999 +0100, Brian Windrim wrote:
>In manual mode, I used to try to apply the classic Zone System 'place
>and fall' approach,

snip

>That's the theory anyway. In practice I'd usually get curious/paranoid
>and want to check my setting against the centre-weighted reading,
>which required me to use the clear switch and lose all my spot
>readings.
>
>So now I tend to do the initial placement on the centre-weighted
>reading and only then take spot readings to check the fall of the
>important tones, adjusting as necessary.
>
>Note that in neither case to I ever pay much attention to the
>multispot average reading, as I feel that reducing a set of spot
>readings to a single value defeats the greatest virtue of multispot.
>
>For the same reason I seldom use multispot in auto mode. If there's an
>obvious mid-tone region in view then I'll take a single spot reading
>off that, otherwise I go with OTF/OTC.

Brian, you need a good OM-2S! ;-)

Actually, I think you make a lot of sense. Having developed an apparently
successful method of exposure adjustment with the OM-2S, I've decided to
use the spot meter on the OM-4T for the most part only in manual mode. The
beauty of the OM-2S is the ability quickly to take a reference
auto/center-weighted reading and then switch to manual for various spot
readings and back again to auto. One can then easily decide whether to
shoot the auto/averaged setting or go to manual.  Very deft design.

When I do spot readings in auto mode with the OM-4T, I miss having the
center-weighted reading as a reference. Also, if you forget to use the memo
button, it's a clean slate after you take the shot.  By using manual for
spot readings, one has a "memo" capability by virtue of the aperture and
shutter settings. Maximum repeatability, no muss, no fuss. :)

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA