[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1210

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1210
From: Dylan Sutton <dsut4392@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:12:17 +1000
From: "imagineero ." <imagineero@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Re: FS: OM-2SP in Australia

>Price reduced now to AUD $300, and I'll throw in a good
>1-4 screen. I have been quoted $40 for adjustment of
>the meter. An escrow system is available within Australia
>for $25.

>I also have a mint 49mm linear polarizer. Asking $15.

> Hi Frank, you might do well to put an ad in the Australian Trading Post or
> the photographic publication called (i think) 'camera trader' which is
> yellow in color, contains only ads and comes out approximately bimonthly.

Correct. Though I never read camera trader as it's layout is such a dog. The
trading post (www.tradingpost.com.au) has the added advantage of being
searchable online, and there is also a local auction site at www.sold.com.au
(where I picked up a nice zuiko 500/8 reflex for about US$105;-)

> would guess that most of the readers on this list are based in the states
> and would not be interested in doing the whole shipping/customs etc.

Hey, that doesn't mean only US ads are appropriate! There are readers in europe,
canada, singapore etc, and at least 3 or 4 regulars in Aus. Post away, I for one
am interested in local gear.

>    Also
> the cost of gear is so cheap overseas compared to aus.

That is not really true. IIRC the usual going price of a 2sp on ebay is over
$200, which is what A$300 is in greenbacks. There's one up for sale there now
with a reserve of US$199...I've also seen a 4Ti with winder 2 and 50/1.4 go for
A$850 (on sold.com.au), which is pretty reasonable.
The real problem here is that the pool of gear is so small, such that the piece
of gear you want only comes up rarely - when it does though, the prices are
usually reasonable.

>  Good luck with your
> sale.

Amen to that - if only I had $300 spare, I would gladly help out...
Dylan