Re: [OM] Traffic in National Parks (was "eat your heart out...")

Subject: Re: [OM] Traffic in National Parks (was "eat your heart out...")
From: "Chris Barker" <christopher.barker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 06:52:22 +0200
Charles

I'm pretty sure that it is inaccurate to refer to the National Parks Service as
part of the Government (although I confess I am not well up on the way it is
connected).  It is part of what we call the Civil Service (in the UK) or a
"QUANGO" (quasi non-governmental organisation, the non- is sometimes omitted
;-)).  Quangos in this country are indeed run much of the time by Government
placemen, but I wonder if the National Parks Service would be the same, or
merely a well-meaning but generally inefficient organisation whose mission has
been lost or outdated: it no longer understands its customers.  Does this fit?

> I can't see the Government getting much done in 3-5 years.
> There will most likely be a way to visit the parks.
> How much it cost is another matter.
> That is the solution I see most clearly in my mind,
> Price the average person right out of it.
> It cost us $10 to get into Zion with the car.
> That is a seven day pass.  (cheap)
> Imagine $50 a day!  That should more than make up for
> the person that can't go because it is too expensive.

Most people who go in season do it because they have to... my 2 sons are at
school and I cannot take holidays with them during term time - all right, I
won't take them out of school.  And I cannot afford to do 2 big holidays in a
year.

> Actually more people should go off season (not summer).
> Spread it out, change your vacation time.
>
> "Naw, the boss wouldn't like that".
> "Besides why should I inconvenience my family"?
> Signed,
> Average person.

Chris