Re: [OM] Traffic in National Parks (was "eat your heart out...")

Subject: Re: [OM] Traffic in National Parks (was "eat your heart out...")
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:56:54
At 08:24 AM 10/28/99 -0400, you wrote:

>  [*Warning* Meaningless, inconclusive rant on a dangerous off-topic
>    follows. If you're a logger or a rancher, stop reading now.]
>
>    In these days of reduced budgets (and no cheap WPA labor), the
>NPS is resorting to user fees. Yes, I know and have experienced real
>overcrowding in many parks during the peak season. It's a problem, but
>how to solve it ?

"user fees" started with the Reagen administration, when he said that all
agencies must pay thier own way, or something like that. the patent office
became self funding soon after that. the nps was no different.

>    I'm not sure lands can or should be "managed".

whenever there is repeated human interaction with the area, then yes, those
areas need to be managed (ie, campsites, trails, etc.). You have to keep
the trails clear for those olympus toting hikers to walk up to the nice
vistas for pictue taking.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright