Re: [OM] Oly at the PhotoPlus show

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly at the PhotoPlus show
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:12:09 -0400
Hi Greg:

For anyone else who is planning to go, Steve Simmons of View Camera Mag, Bob
Shell of Shutterbug, and a host of other interesting people were there. Leonard
Freed has a small stand selling his own books and prints. The Amphoto booth has
signed copies of Baalog's 'Animals'. Ken Canham, Ron Wisner, and ? Phillips
were all there promoting their view cameras. I also met David Vestal at the PT
booth.

Contax has discontinued the T2 and has a new TVSIII out with a folding but slow
zoom lens. Everyone is still awed by the 645. Nothing new in the SLR line.

Gitzo finally has managed to design a real ball head, that seemed very nice,
especially since Arca seems not to be shipping B1's. Plenty of tripod
manufacturers with carbon fiber legs, and they're all plenty light, but all
seemed like dreck, except Gitzo, of course.

Saw the new Bessa/Voigtlander camera. The body seems really cheap (of course
they're not asking a lot of money either) but I was really impressed in person
by seeing how tiny the lenses are, especially the 15.

I was hoping to see the new Hexar RF camera, but either missed it or it wasn't
there.

Canon and Nikon was a zoo as usual. I didn't even bother. Altho Nikon had some
bodies around their area with exotic glass mounted, like a 600/4. You could
play with them, and that was fun.

First time I handled the new Pentax 67II. Very impressive.

Rollei will give you a free 6001 body if you buy any other body. A lot of
interest is being generated in this very sophisticated system ( I have a 6001).

That's it for now!

At 08:27 AM 10/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Denton,
>
>I stopped by there also (photoplus show and Oly booth), and was equally
>unimpressed.  My question to the rep there was whether Oly was going to keep
>the OM system going or were they going to let it go.   I was told that this
>was a "controversy" right now because, as the rep continued (in tortured
>english), that the line was very expensive to produce and the volume was not
>there (we've heard this before).  Because the place was such a zoo I didn't
>get to follow up with any digital questions.   I did overhear that one of
>the customer support guys supporting OM is moving to digital - Pat
>McFarlane.  That leaves just good ol Vince Marino to help out us dinosaurs ;-)
>
>Also met Mike Johnson from Photo Techniques Magazine.  Nice guy.

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.
Panoramas and Immersive Imaging at