[OM] northern lights

Subject: [OM] northern lights
From: "Ron Crabtree" <crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:07:19 -0600
Hello all,

I am going to Fairbanks in a few days to see and hopefully photograph the
northern lights.  I have seen them only once before, but saw enough to
realize they will be a challenge to capture on film.  I will be using an OM
4t, so I have a great meter to work with.  Does anyone have experience with
this?

My first plan is to use a 50mm 1.4(my fastest lens) wide open with Provia
pushed to 200.  This should give OK grain and good color while allowing
fairly fast shutter speeds.  It would seem to me that the speed of the
light's movement will blur with any speed over a few seconds.  I thought
about using Provia 1600, but am afraid the grain will be awful.  I also plan
to spot meter an area of green or red in the lights and let the meter do the
rest, but also considered letting OTF work under center weighted metering.

Any suggestions are welcome as well as recommendations as to where in the
Fairbanks area to go for viewing the lights.   I hope the city decides to
turn on the northern lights when I am there!!  ;>)

Ron Crabtree
Santa Fe, NM