Re: [OM] Telescopic Extension Tubes

Subject: Re: [OM] Telescopic Extension Tubes
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 05:00:05 EDT
pfranklin@xxxxxxxx writes:

<< So I'm always forced  to take the tripod out to the field to shoot
things like wild flowers  and bugs.  Usually the auto extension tubes
work well with the 50mm.  The 38mm is a little difficult to use in the
hand held mode. Does anyone  have an ideal rig for using this lens
or the 20mm in the field? >>

I have never liked carrying tripods either. When traveling internationaly
they are
even worse so I use my Novoflex squeeze focus pistol grip lens both as a
handholdable tele and as a handholdable bellows for micro/macro work. The old
style Novoflex has a pistol grip so you can more easily stabilize the camera
and in addition it has a normal single rack style bellows that allows very
close focussing
with the short tele head.  Later models have an add on section that adds
the bellows feature but it is larger,heavier and less convenient. I
originally bought
my lens so that I could reliably hand hold teles when shooting
Kodachrome 25.  Some of the the old units also have a standard Leica
screw mount for the front head.  So I remove the head and use it with an
adapted Cannon (sorry!) 28mm Micro lens and sometimes an 80mm enlarger lens.
These are both very compact lenses so they fit easily in my camera bag
and they give excellent results.You can get almost any kind of front lens
mount from Novoflex (at a price) including OM. (I am not sure whether
they produce microscope thread mounts as used on early OM macros)
Novoflex Germany still supports the early style units with adapters,
although they have not produced the grips for many years.
The later Novoflex units have a universal adapter system
that is field interchangeable so you can use one bellows/focus
unit with any mix of camera bodies and lenses at will but I am not
sure the newer larger units would work as well in this application.
Another option, although not as convenient,well balanced or rigid as the
early
Novoflex, would be to use a pistol grip that has a normal tripod screw.
You could  then mount your own bellows on it. The OM bellows seems a pretty
large unit for field use.

Regards,
Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx