Re: [OM] Oly at the PhotoPlus show

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly at the PhotoPlus show
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 20:50:32 +1000
Acer Victoria wrote

> Doesn't Canon have some digi-body (also the Nikon
> D1?) that takes the EOS-mount on an otherwise digital camera? Oly might
> actually be stepping into high-end digital here and could take a bite out
> the the others' shares, which is nice

It is claimed about the D1 that one really should use the lenses
designed for it. These have less chromatic distortion, which
apparently is a bad thing in (Nikon) digital photography. Also,
the effective film size is not 24 x 36 mm, so that you need a
fisheye wide to get ordinary wide.

I would guess that the chromatic distortion is a problem only
because of JPEG. I personally want nothing to do with digital
photography that involves lossy compression.