Re: [OM] Re: 24mm shift

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 24mm shift
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 10:53:35 EDT
I fully agree that the cash is best spent on Large Format equipment vs. using
OM System 24mm shift lenses.  In my limited, one month experience with the
24mm Shift, I found that I could set up a view camera in about the same time
it took to get the 24mm Shift mounted and correctly positioned.  The 24mm
Shift has a quite limited number of filters, is scary to use since one drop
and you can kiss the front element goodbye, has a preset diaphragm which is
really hard to remember to set, is VERY susceptible to sunlight reaching the
bulbous front element, and takes up a hugh amount of space in a camera bag.

Other random pet peaves regarding some the super Zuikos that many of us have
on our wish lists:
* the handle Giles and George were discussing for the 180 f/2, 250 f/2 and
350 f/2.8 is perfectly made to skin your knuckles and lacks clearance for big
hands.
* The lack of a tripod collar on the 50-250 f/5.
* the apparent softness of the front element coating on the 16mm Fisheye
* the lack of a hood for the 90mm f/2 Macro
* the rack and pinon focusing to the long telephotos

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV