RE: [OM] ADITL2 - and future ADITL events

Subject: RE: [OM] ADITL2 - and future ADITL events
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 12:26:12 +0100
Wow!

I'm impressed, the results look great!

I've been awaiting George's message (informing us the pics were up) with
great impatience, and it's just so much fun to have participated too, and
there are some truly great images there.

I especially like the fact that everyone got back to basics, left their
expensive Zuiko glass (with the exception of 50/2 macro lenses) @ home, and
took such a wide variety of pictures, ranging from portraits to macro shots;
very nice indeed!

It's also quite cool that we can now add comments to the pictures
themselves; great job George!

Now, there's only one "regret", and that's that there will only be 4 ADITL
events per year, whereas I already can't wait for the next one. What do you
guys think, shall we maybe make it a 2-monthly event? I would also love to
help out with the HTML stuff etc, so George will not become overloaded.

Either way, I think the idea of picking themes for the ADITL events is
great, and it's pretty easy to come up with a list of themes to last us well
until the next millenium; some suggestions (some have already been
suggested):

-Self portraits: Requires no investment for the photographer, any
lens/camera can be used. I think this one by now has pretty much been
elected as the next theme already, right?
-Bokeh: As we can see on the ADITL2 page it's possible to get pretty good
bokeh even with standard 50mm lenses, so this theme would also not have to
incur any additional cost to the photographer, unless the zuikoholics want
to use it as justification for buying a 100/2 ;)
-Night pictures: This is a theme I would love to do, as I very much like to
take night pictures and IMO they give a totally different view on the world
(just compare the difference between a daytime shot of the Eifel tower
(pretty ugly brownish tower, with heaps of tourists) and a nighttime shot of
that nice huge "golden A").
-Human settlement shots: Capturing the dynamic aspects of a big metropolis,
or taking nice pics of a small Andean village. Anything to capture the
interesting aspects of a group of humans living together goes.
-Nature: Maybe this should even be split up into flora and fauna, either
way, I personally see this as about the most difficult kind of photography,
so it should be a real challenge to pull off a great nature shot.
-Portraits: A field of photography I'm currently focussing on, it should be
interesting to see how people would go about the selection of their subjects
and lighting conditions.
-Abstract pictures: Anything which will make the viewer wonder what the heck
it is that appears in the picture.
-B&W photography: A field in which I have zero experience, but I'd love to
play around with it a few times at least.
-Flash pictures: No I'm not referring to "exposing" ourselves ;) but rather
to making sure that the "film exposures" will have been made using one or
more flashes. Maybe people will object to this, as not everyone has a flash.
Either way, having little experience with flashes I would think it would be
a great motivation for experimenting with them.
-Macro pictures: Realising I will probably never be able to beat the
excellent macro shots made by (a.o.) C.H. Ling and Daan Kalmeijer, I would
still love to see a macro edition as that is one of the things in which the
OM system excels. Also, macro shots can even be taken using very cheap gear
(off brand extension tubes, close-up lenses), so it wouldn't be too
expensive, although the lucky ones among us who can afford the fancy bellows
lenses etc. might have an edge. Macro photography is another of those fields
in which I have pretty much zero knowledge but which I'd love to explore.

Any input is more than welcome, and I hope we can indeed increase the ADITL
frequency...

Cheerio!
Olafo