Re: [OM] An observation and a little theory...

Subject: Re: [OM] An observation and a little theory...
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 07:41:42 -0700
At 12:45 PM 10/31/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Hey guys,
>
>Coming from a (computer science) engineering background I'm very accustomed
>to using numbers that are powers of 2. I therefore couldn't help but
>noticing the close relation of such 2 powers to the shutter speeds used on
>the OM cameras (and probably other brand cameras too). Look:

[snip]

Olaf:

Yes, they're indeed related in the fashion you mention, for reasons of exposure
reciprocity.  You'll also note that F-stops rise in number (that is, become
smaller in aperture) by a factor of the square root of 2, i.e., F/1.4 --> F/2.0
= 1.4 x 1.4 (approx.).  The numbers have been standardised to remove pesky
decimal points, "odd" fractions (so we have 1/30th instead of 1/32), etc.

Good discussions of this can be had in a number of basic photography books,
such as The Ilford Manual of Photography, The Focal Encyclopedia of
Photography, etc.

Ciao for now, mang.

Garth