Re: [OM] An observation and a little theory...

Subject: Re: [OM] An observation and a little theory...
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 11:28:05 -0800
===Suppose this is true, then the gap between a two minute exposure and a 4
minute exposure would be really big. This leads me to think that a finer
granularity is actually used for the long exposures. However, in case the 2
power range is indeed used, it should be easily verifiable by taking an auto
exposure in a completely dark room, and checking if the camera cuts it off
after exactly 4 minutes (i.e. 240 seconds) or after 256 seconds. Has anyone
ever done this?====

A non techie response,
The idea of auto exposure is that there is no limiting factor between
shutter speeds.
>From 1/1000 to 4 minutes or whatever is needed or possible in between to
give correct exposure.
Enough light and the shutter closes, no?
So as I get it, the exposure could be 240.3 sec. or 240.4 sec or anytime
needed.
I believe that linear is the term.  Same as 1/250 or 1/125 or anything in
between.

Isn't this the real reason for auto exposure anyway,  more accurate than
setting
full stops on manual.  Especially good for transparency film.

Am I getting this right, or do you mean something way over my head?

Charlie L.