Re: [OM] OM Flash stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Flash stuff
From: "Dave Bulger" <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 13:55:38 -0600
> In a message dated 11/1/99 10:13:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> > While taking pics of the kids in costumes last night with my OM2s and a
T20,
> >  I noticed that the "exposure successful" light both in the viewfinder
and
> on
> >  the back of the flash would only sometimes indicate that the exposure
was
> >  good -- other times it would not do it's rapid flash thing.  I tried
this
> in
> >  Program, Auto and Spot/Manual modes, with the T20 in both "Full
Control"
> and
> >  Auto modes.  I got no "exposure successful" light on anything but T20
Auto
> >  mode @ f8 and the OM2s in program mode.
> >
> >  Stats: OM2s with a T20 flash mounted on camera.  ISO 100 film.  All
> subjects
> >  between 8 and 10 feet from camera.  While in auto and program modes I
had
> >  the aperture of the lens set at 22 in order to give the camera the most
> >  options.
>
> If you were using f22 in the OM-2S's normal auto (TTL) mode, you probably
> will not get sufficient exposure. In program mode, with the lens set at
f22,
> the OM-2S can select any available aperture. I *think* with program flash
it
> stops down 3 stops. So if you are using an f4 zoom it will stop down to
f11.
> In auto mode, what you set for an aperture is what you get. The T20 isn't
> powerful enough to reach 10 ft at f22 with ISO 100 film. Open up to f8 and
> you should get about the same results as T20 auto mode at f8.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Paul Schings

That helps -- thank you.  I didn't know WHAT the OM2s did in program flash
mode re the aperture.

What's still throwing me off is why one shot would give me the "exposure OK"
light and another one immediately following with the same subject, distance,
etc. would not.

Yes, the flash had recycled prior to the second shot!  <g>

I still have the question --- can I use the T20 in "Full Automatic Control
by OM-2" mode with the OM2s in program mode and the lens stopped down to
f22?

Thanks,

Dave