[OM] Art Gallerys anyone?

Subject: [OM] Art Gallerys anyone?
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 02:36:54 -0600
I've had an interesting day today.  Karen and I went to Des Moines to look
at a keyboard and when we got back there were a couple frantic messages on
our answering machine.  It seems that one of my prints had made it's way
into a gallery where it was being framed.  Unfortunately (fortunately) the
gallery had failed to contact the customer and it hung there for several
months.  The picture got incredible attention, and in fact became a bit of
an attraction.  They ended up placing it in a place of prominant location,
but was frustrated because it was a customer's print and not one they could
sell.

...and then...

Somebody REALLY wanted the print.  Not just anybody, but really close
friends of the gallery owners and they are moving away this weekend.  Could
there be any way to get another copy of the print????  The print was
actually a suprise gift to my wife's best friend from her husband.  Well,
they contacted the husband and to make a long story short they both agreed
to let it go since "we know the photographer."

The gallery owners happen to be well placed (in fact, the husband has
sculptures in a number of MAJOR museums) and have been looking for a
photographer to team up with and market/promote.

I have avoided the art world, intentionally, for a long time, but just
maybe it might be time to dip my toes in and take my lumps.  Who knows, it
might just pay for the new camera equipment????  It's gotta be better than
wedding photography.  Anybody with experience in the art gallery/wholesale
arena have any advice/comments?  My past experience resulted in "slammed
doors" and "sorry, we already market xxxxx".

It's nice to be "discovered" once in a while.

Ken Norton