[OM] Photo printers

Subject: [OM] Photo printers
From: "Dave Bulger" <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 20:47:18 -0600
All,

I'm in the process of dipping my toes into the digital photography arena.
This is a tentative move for me in that I do computers for a living and
fully understand just how evil they can be.  <g>  I've purchased a
film/tranny scanner and I'm in the process of checking out printers to do
the final outputting of my OM images. <-- OM content!  I've checked out lots
& lots of printers, read reviews, etc., and have kind of settled on the Alps
MD5000 setup with (possibly) the dye sublimation option.

What I'm lacking is some first hand experience with this printer.  Per the
printer-sales-kind-of guys, it's really slow but really good.
Unfortunately, the salesmen down here won't let me take my notebook 'puter
up to the store to test print images of my own.

Per the specs, the dye sublimation option will provide continuous tone
prints, and the cost of paper, cartridges and a $100 hardware option, all
exclusive to the dye sublimation process.

Anyone own/use this printer?  Whatcha think of it?  The only bad thing the
salesman said about it was that there was some banding visible in the non-DS
type prints if you held the print at an angle and looked hard at it.

Opinions & experience welcome!

TIA!

Dave