Re: [OM] filters, again.

Subject: Re: [OM] filters, again.
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 09:01:16
At 10:41 PM 11/3/99 EST, PCACala@xxxxxxx wrote:

>All I can do is run my SQF evaluation on the resulting slides.  I'll leave
it
>to others to explain the differences, assuming there are any.  I'm willing
>give them the filter if they have the equipment to quantify something.
Right
>now neither Bill Roger's nor I know to make of the bizarre star patterns
(vs.
>"crisp") in cheap filters.  It is an assumption that they are bad and one
>I'll try and test this evening, along with a Contax T2 lens test and a
Tamron
>80-200mm f/2.8 ED IF test.

Can you test some Tiffen filters? I can send you some if you need them.

I've been feeling like a sucker since I browsed some filter web sites. This
guy: http://www.2filters.com/ says that Tiffens are made with "green"
glass, which he considers cheap compared to B+W and Hoya which use "white"
glass. He also says that the Tiffen movie filters are made from white glass
and are much more expensive. These are the ones they won the awards for.

The issue of multicoating is still bothering me. I'm feeling foolish for
having bought these tiffen uncoated filters when I could have bought Hoya
multicoated ones. I thought Hoya was cheap, but the web site of the
importer convinced me otherwise: http://www.hoyafilter.com/

I now think Hoya is the best deal for the money in a filter. B+W's are only
single coated (mostly), while you can get up to a 5 layer multicoat on Hoya
filters. Tiffen has only just started to re-introduce mc filters, since the
early ones scratched easily.

What, if anything is the significance of green glass vs. white glass for a
filter? The cheapest bottom line Hoya filters use green glass, the rest use
white glass. I suppose that a filter manufacturer could compensate for a
green tint in the glass when it designed the dyes, so the issue may be
moot. Also, how significant is the fact that Tiffens are laminated, with
the dye in the glue, vs. the solid glass of the others? Tiffen claims
greater consistency for thier process and says that no solid glass can
possibly equal the accuracy of thier filters.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright