Re: [OM] Re: one more thing on Olympus Japan

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: one more thing on Olympus Japan
From: "Samuel Morales" <dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 12:38:17 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, November 04, 1999 11:26 AM

He was looking for original to sell. A reproduction part, would it sell?
maybe?  Most people use blk tape , to avoid a light leak.  Reason for
message is to educate the public on the strategy of Corp. , if there are no
parts , then most people will buy something new.

>At 11:07 PM 11/3/99 -0600, Samuel Morales wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>>About a year ago , I was talking with a popular Olympus dealer who works
off
>>the Internet.  He claims to have gone to Japan and set up a business
meeting
>>with some Olympus  executives.  He offered quite a bit of money up front ,
>>to see if Olympus would produce the OM-1 motor-cap , that goes on the
bottom
>>plate.  He offered to purchase a very large number and Olympus kindly
said:
>>"NO" , why you want old camera , buy new camera 4Ti, 3Ti. , Thank you!
>

>For that kind of money, I don't see why he couldn't use something like a
Taig lathe (widely used as a jig lathe in the aerospace industry) to build a
prototype, or get ahold of a clean example of such a cover and cast it.  If
it's just a mechanical part of known (and relatively simple) dimensionality,
it could probably be copied, for far less hassle than trying to get Oly
execs to go along with such a scheme.  Hmmm, now that gives me an idea...