Re: [OM] ...verdigris..... -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] ...verdigris..... -Reply
From: Dirk and Carla Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 17:57:40 -0500
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 6:07 PM -0600 11/5/99, W. J. Liles wrote:
>The contacts may be plated steel or plated spring brass.  If steel then
>the verdigris is due to the chrome or nickle plating flaking off
>exposing a layer of copper plated over the steel before the nickle or
>chrome plating otherwise the loss of plating is exposing the brass to
>oxidation.

My wife needed the sunpak handle mount flash for a shoot last night, so I
dug out the flash and associated stuff and found that a six pack of AA's
had been left in there for over 5 years! One was really nasty, oozing some
intimidating looking stuff. I popped out the batteries and took the holder,
which had a good bit of the nasty stuff on it, and scrubbed it under
running water with an old toothbrush. It cleaned right up! The reason?
Sunpak had the good sense to use stainless steel spring contacts in thier
battery holders!

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright