Re: [OM] ...OT ... Apollo 13....

Subject: Re: [OM] ...OT ... Apollo 13....
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 11:39:56 +0000
>book from which the HBO miniseries " From the Earth to the Moon" was taken.
>This is available in paperback. Commander Jim Lovell also wrote a book (for
>the 25th anniversary, I believe) whose title escapes me. There also were

Jim Lovell's book (he commanded the mission) is "Lost Moon."  Great book.
NASA also did a documentary within a few years after the incident focusing
mostly on how NASA got them all back.  At that point NASA was not going to
portray anything that would cast themselves in a poor light lest they lose
Congressional funding for continuing the Apollo program . . . which was
nearly lost with the Apollo 1 launch pad fire that killed Grissom, White
and Chaffee.

I think "Apollo 13" from other sources and documentaries captures the true
story very well.  It's one that doesn't need any embellishing.  The "Apollo
13" movie and "Lost Moon" book do reveal more of the human aspect having to
do with the families of the astronauts and some other inner workings of
NASA that would never have been allowed into a NASA documentary.  Not that
NASA did anything wrong . . . just that it could have called into question
continuing Apollo missions at the time (1970).  I remember being rivited to
the TV while it was all happening.

-- John