RE: [OM] Voigtlander VS Zuiko

Subject: RE: [OM] Voigtlander VS Zuiko
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 19:09:00 +0000
At 21:46 11/8/99 , Wayne Harridge wrote:
>I agree, however I would not expect them to be that much better than the
>Zuikos, possibly the original poster has a problem with his OM body or lens.

Readily concede there should not be a *great* difference when compared to a
Zuiko 50/1.2 MC (I have one).  Any weak link in the entire optical system
(including the printer and his/her enlarger) can detract from resolution
and contrast.

Hoping the original poster (David Irisarri Vila) hasn't confused higher
resolution with higher contrast.  Many older German lens designs date to
1900-1935, and have fewer elements and groups (typical is four or five in
three groups) compared to 1970's Japanese lenses and many newer designs.
They were developed before coatings and had good contrast then.  In the
post-war years they were reformulated for coatings, used excellent glass,
and gained noticeable contrast.  High contrast lenses can produce results
that appear to have higher resolution compared to a lens with similar
resolution but less contrast.

-- John