Re: [OM] Zion NP photo shoot

Subject: Re: [OM] Zion NP photo shoot
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 10:04:47 -0800
=====I'm taking the week before Christmas off and plan on taking a quick
trip to
southern Utah to hit Zion NP (definitely) and Bryce Canyon (possibly).
Anyone been there that can tell me where to stay, where to go, what I can
expect for weather, etc.?  I'd appreciate any input you might have.====

Just came back from there.   www.geocities.com/soho/hall/7283
Stay at a motel in Springdale.
About a mile from the park entrance.
St George is too far away.  Call ahead if possible.
Just enough cosy restaurants and a market.
Almost everything is closed on Sunday.
Pioneer restaurant is open.  Real basic and a bit rustic.
Go to Michael Fatali's gallery and be impressed.
Then give up photography out of an overwhelming
feeling of inadequacy.

Try to get to all the major areas.
Angels landing is a longish hike and a bit
harrowing I understand.  I ran out of weekend
and did not make that one.
The narrows is at the end of the river walk.
not really a hike because it is so easy.You need to wade
into the narrows from the end of the easy trail.
I wasn't prepared and did not make that trek either.
(do I sound like a wimp yet?)
Weather should be mild for a winter day.
Snow higher up is to be expected.
Go to www.nps.gov/zion
Who said the NPS wasn't a Government entity a while ago?

Telephone (435) 772-3256
Address Superintendent
Zion National Park
Springdale Utah 84767

====I'll be taking the whole OM crew of bodies & lenses and something medium
format -- either the C330F or the RZ, though the RZ w/lenses seems a bit
daunting to carry in a backpack along with my trusty OMs.=====

You may be on the move a lot so the 330 sounds fine to me.
A graduated ND filter was the only thing that I really NEEDED and didn't
have.

===BTW -- George M.:  I owe you some of my Antelope Canyon shots from last
March.  If you'll send me your email address I'll get 'em to you.====

And we expect to see the Zion pics also.  :-)
BTW Dave where do you live?
How are you approaching the area?

E mail me off list if I can be of any help.
I am in Las Vegas, about 2 1/2 hours from Springdale.

Charlie L.
CPL49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx