Re: [OM] Name that phenomenon

Subject: Re: [OM] Name that phenomenon
From: "C. Hertzler" <hertzler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:32:35 +0200
>I wonder if there is a name for this phenomenon:

> http://members.tripod.com/jdubikins/test/test.html

>It will look a little like the sun at about 10 degrees above the
>horizon, but it is actually a reflection off the clouds that was
>quite concentrated and lasted for nearly 10 minutes after sunset was
>complete.

It looks like a "tangent arc" to a 22 degrees halo. These are formed
by ice crystals, which refract the sunlight. The normal 22 degrees
halo is quite common, the tengent arce is formed on top of the halo
when the sun is positioned on  or just above the horizon.

A good halo explanation can be found here:

http://covis.atmos.uiuc.edu/guide/optics/halos/html/hal.html

and about the tangent arc:

http://covis.atmos.uiuc.edu/guide/optics/halos/html/tangentarc.html

Regards