Re: [OM] Name that phenomenon

Subject: Re: [OM] Name that phenomenon
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:30:53 -0600
At 06:32 AM 11/10/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>At 10:55 PM 11/9/99 -0600, Joel Wilcox wrote:
>>Oly Shooters,
>>
>>I wonder if there is a name for this phenomenon:
>>
>>      http://members.tripod.com/jdubikins/test/test.html
>>
>>It will look a little like the sun at about 10 degrees above the horizon,
>>but it is actually a reflection off the clouds that was quite concentrated
>>and lasted for nearly 10 minutes after sunset was complete.
>

>Joel:
>
>This is a variation on an optical meteorological phenomenon called
"subsun."  In this case, I'd be tempted to call it "supersun," since it's
obviously happening above the sun, rather than below it.  Everything else
is the same, however.

>Garth

Thanks Garth.  These "above" and "below" perspectives are obviously
anthropocentric.  Should I assume because of the name that it is usually
seen at high noon or some such?  It looks a little like a sundog, without
the prism effect.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA