Re: [OM] Re: OM2000 (was "The New Kid On The Block")

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM2000 (was "The New Kid On The Block")
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:21:12 -0500
Joel Wilcox wrote:

> The OM2000 seems like an awfully good value for the money, but it doesn't
> appear to be built for the long haul like the single-digit OM series
> bodies.

I only fiddled with a 2000 at the store, but based on that and what I've
read, it's the same design and/or manufacture as the Yashica FX-3 Super
2000 (a.k.a. Cosina, Nikon, & Ricoh/Kalimar K-mt) that I've had for 6
years---picked up at a yard sale with a broken zoom for $10.  I'm not
afraid to risk it, unlike my OM's, and it goes on the water, snow or
where it might otherwise get abused or stolen.  I treat it accordingly.
I've put a few hundred rolls through it and it looked like it had quite
a few prior when I got it.  The top plate has a nasty open wound from
being dropped.  It feels "cheap", and I have to tighten the advance
lever twice a year.  It also works perfectly, and I've never put a dime
into it.

Like alot of other list members, I'm not objective about cameras and I
love the feel of the single-digit OM's.  But I could have bought and
junked a couple of 2000's for less than the upkeep on my other OM's over
the last 9 years.  (If I had I would have been able to afford some more
Zuikos.) Like lots of consumer products now, the 2000 is cheap but also
probably pretty durable and definitely capable.  Remember, it's just the
latest version of an older, simple design that's shared among other
lensmounts, and which will likely be around for awhile.

Morgan Sparks