[OM] Used equipment rating systems

Subject: [OM] Used equipment rating systems
From: "Ghosal, Ranjan (GEP)" <Ranjan.Ghosal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:13:07 -0500
Cc: "'rghos@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <rghos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I've been looking at used equipment on the Web, and it's pretty confusing to
be faced with a dozen different rating systems.  Everyone seems to have their
own! I wish this could be standardized (anyone want to bring this up with
NIST?).  Anyway, what do you think is a "safe" rating when buying a lens and a
body? I figure it's better to stick to higher quality on the lenses, small
dings in the body are perhaps more easy to accept.  How would you rate various
camera dealers on their rating systems?  Anyone think it's safe to buy a
"bargain" condition lens? An "8" rated lens?

Regards
Ranjan