Re: [OM] Used equipment rating systems

Subject: Re: [OM] Used equipment rating systems
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 15:15:59 EST

> Anyone think it's safe to buy a
>  "bargain" condition lens? An "8" rated lens?

I haven't bought anything from these two stores but Cameta Camera's "Mint
minus" is another person's user; while Keh's "bargain" grade has made many
people surprised by the lack of problems or defects.  And what does "900f
original condition" mean anyway? I've always been bothered by this term.

Lens should be described optically, mechanically and cosmetically. One can
evaluate the optics and mechanics for obvious defects. As far was what really
counts, resolution and contrast, you'll never get anyone to evaluate this for
you. The best hint is that bad cosmetic condition might give a hint as to
what's inside. On the other hand, it might have been such a great lens that
it was used all the time by the previous owner.

Warren