[OM] Glasses wearers' laments (was "OM2000")

Subject: [OM] Glasses wearers' laments (was "OM2000")
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 20:24:59 -0800
On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:21:12 -0500, Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
opined:

>I'm not objective about cameras and I
>love the feel of the single-digit OM's.  But I could have bought and
>junked a couple of 2000's for less than the upkeep on my other OM's over
>the last 9 years.  (If I had I would have been able to afford some more
>Zuikos.) Like lots of consumer products now, the 2000 is cheap but also
>probably pretty durable and definitely capable.  Remember, it's just the
>latest version of an older, simple design that's shared among other
>lensmounts, and which will likely be around for awhile.

How is the OM-2000 in terms of eye relief for glasses wearers?  I have an
OM-2, which I love, but sometimes I get tired of not seeing the entire
viewfinder at once.  Focusing ease is also an issue for me--I need all the
brightness I can get.

I'm debating what to do about both eye relief and focusing ease.  To tell
you the truth, my favorite OM camera for both these qualities is an OM-PC
that I met briefly in a camera store, but did not buy.  The screen was
brighter than my beloved OM-2, focusing was easier, and I could see the
whole frame.

How do other 4-eyed Zuiks cope?  I've read the FAQ about eye relief, but
I'd like some comments from other glasses wearers who've actually tried
various things.

Here's what I'm considering:

1.  Get an OM-4(T(i))with a 2-13 screen in it.  Perhaps I'll do this
eventually when my socio-economic status rises a bit.  This would help
brightness (?) but not eye relief.  In the meantime...

2.  Get an OM-PC.

3.  Get a glasses shop to cut one of my recent spectacle lenses to size to
form  fit in the viewfinder window.  This would be OK for static subjects,
but no good for people pictures, as I can't see facial expressions or small
obstacles beyond a few feet away without my glasses.

4. Get a 2-13 screen, do the little filing mod and mount said screen in my
OM-2.  Apply the appropriate compensation factor when I set the ISO speed
of the film. (I assume you can do a "factor" correction that will work for
all films, right).

5. Use the plano-convex lens fix described in the Olympus FAQ (P9 #3, at
the very end of the current FAQ).

Any comments or additional thoughts from the gallery?  Thanks!

--- Peter