Re: [OM] Re: [OMPractice bombs

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OMPractice bombs
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 08:42:32 -0000
Chris Barker wrote:

> to find a cheap MF camera like the Yashicamat 124G to supplement my lovely
OMs.
> Any views on this entry model to MF?

When I worked in camera shops in the '60s TLRs were commonplace stock items
and the Yashica version, while capable of good results, felt and sounded
very tinny. The best regarded TLR by the staff was the Minolta Autocord,
which was available with or without an uncoupled CdS meter. While all other
marques needed two hands, the Autocord's focusing lever under the front of
the camera meant that you could hold, focus and expose all with one hand
while holding up a flashgun with the other, as long as you used a secure
neck strap.

I had an Autocord for a while and looking back through my old b&w prints,
the quality of those taken with it stand out. I replaced its focusing screen
with a Rollei one with a rangefinder spot. It was larger than the screen
that came out and I marked out the size with a craft knife and nibbled away
at it with toenail clippers!

No TLR is much fun to use though - except maybe a Rolleiflex with eye-level
prism and pistol grip - they're awkward to carry and you have to put coming
back with superb pictures well ahead of having an enjoyable day's
photography. They were irksome enough then; they'd be doubly so after using
an OM.

The only MF camera that I ever used that would be a pleasure even for
amateur purposes was a Linhof Super Technika 6x9, and I've always fancied,
but never even seen in the 'flesh', a Plaubel Makina. Either would take a
substantial lottery win for me to even consider.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx
http://homepages.which.net/~k.berry