Re: [OM] Panoramic Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Panoramic Lenses
From: Christopher J Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:50:50 AEST
"John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake
thusly:

> Shot some panoramics using the OM and Zuiko 28/3.5 last weekend.  Had a
> devil of a time stitching some of them together and went through a number
> of iterations with several of them.  I'm guessing that some aberration in
> the 28/3.5 is part of the issue.

No, it's just an unavoidable perspective thing.

28mm is a bit short for stitch-ups; 50mm is a better choice.

What looks like barrel distortion in a set of adjacent shots is a real
corollary of geometry.  The wider the lens, the harder it will be to
align  the edges.   Basically the wider each indivual image is, the
more it approximates the projection from a fisheye.

I found this out the hard way too, when I did a panoramic "walk
through" of a building with my 28mm.  Later I found a book with a good
explanation of what's going on.

The panoramas that I've done with 50mm (and with my Trip35, which is,
um, 40mm?) join up well.

cjb.

--
| Christopher J. Biggs -|- R & D Software Engineer --  Stallion Technologies |
| chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx -|- If it isn't broken, I just haven't touched it yet |