[OM] Olympus ES-10S Scanner

Subject: [OM] Olympus ES-10S Scanner
From: "Ron Spolarich" <caesar2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 22:06:30 -0500
I'm in need of the lists advice - again.  Many of you responded to my initial
inquiry regarding what scanners list members were using.  I can't recall anyone
mentioning using the Olympus ES-10.  Several mentioned the Nikon LS-30 as well
as the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual.  Well, staying true to Oly, I decided to
purchase the ES-10.  After several days of use with Adobe Photoshop 5.5 I'm
thinking of returning it and purchasing the Nikon.  But before I make that
decision, I'd like to be sure it's the right one given the cost will jump
another $500.

After becoming fairly familiar with Photoshop, the adage "garbage in garbage
out" has credence when it pertains to the number of pixels scanned.  If one can
gamma correct before scanning one has a better image to work with.  I also
recognize that it isn't necessary nor prudent to scan at high res; 200 to 300
is very acceptable.  My issue with the ES-10 is that the gamma correction tool
is a curve tool.  A curve tool is a very sophisticated tool, at least within
Adobe Photoshop.  I'm not so sure with the ES-10.  I labor with slides that are
very dark yet contain great detail when viewed through a light table.  If I
scan such a slide at 200> dpi, it's almost impossible to lighten the image
enough to anywhere near the light table image.  If I scan at 72 dpi I have
greater results yet this results in fewer pixels.  Negatives and slides that
have a broad histogram look very good.  Flash pictures are difficult because
they are high key.  Is this more a matter of lack of understanding the gamma
correction tool, dpi scan choice, etc., or is the ES-10 making my life more
difficult?

What gamma correction tool(s) does the Nikon offer?

If my only objective is to scan images for web use, is there any advantage to
purchasing the Nikon?  Is 30 bit color scanning better than 24 bit when I'm
only posting to the web?

Thanks in advance, Ron

caesar2@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Ron & Mary Spolarich