Re: [OM] scanners for dummies

Subject: Re: [OM] scanners for dummies
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 18:31:39 -0500
Dirk Wright wrote:

> Um, I have a dummy type question: which is better, flatbed or film type
> scanner? Why? The flatbeds are really low price now, the film types are more
> expensive.

Dirk, a film scanner will first of all let you scan slides properly.
There's also the benefit of scanning the original rather than a copy.  I
never appreciated how far film has come, and never hit my stride
digitally, until I started scanning C-41.  There's no other way to fully
realize the dynamic range of your images.  And compared to washed-out,
contrasty minilab prints, I can get excellent tonal range from scans.  I
could do the same thing with a dedicated color darkroom, but I don't
need that kind of mess. (and Santa's gonna give me one of those little
Epsons for Christmas.)  You'll have much more control of you output if
you scan film.

Morgan Sparks