Re: [OM] scanners for dummies

Subject: Re: [OM] scanners for dummies
From: "Ron Spolarich" <caesar2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 18:33:27 -0500
Dirk:  In my opinion, I'd stay away from a flat bed scanner if you're going
to scan negatives or slides.  An analogy would be buying a component stereo
system versus a compact system.  The compact system tries to be all things.
To do so, it must cut back it's costs by using less sophisticated circuitry,
speakers, etc.  The transparency covers, are usually an expensive accessory,
that can't match a dedicated film scanner.

You might say... "Well the UMAX 2200U comes with the transparency cover
included."  Yes, that's true and I even considered purchasing it.  But I
felt my money was better spent on a design intended to scan only negatives.
My 2 cents.

Ron
caesar2@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Ron & Mary Spolarich