RE: [OM] OM: Extension tubes and focusing distance

Subject: RE: [OM] OM: Extension tubes and focusing distance
From: Dirk and Carla Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 18:49:51 -0500
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 3:57 PM +0000 11/21/99, John A. Lind wrote:

>2.  Close-up lenses screwed onto the filter ring will not change exposure
>settings, but an extension tube will!  There are tables that show the
>exposure adjustment required if you ever use tubes on a *non-TTL* metered
>camera.  However, TTL metering compensates for it just as it does for
>filters.  Just remember with an extension tube on you do lose some light,
>the longer the tube, the more light lost.  This might affect choice in film
>speed.  Kodak's Pocket Photoguide (the little pocket bible many photogs
>have in the bag; used to be called the Master Photoguide) has tables in it
>about the effect of tube extensions on exposure.

I couldn't figure out how to determine exposure using an OM-1 and a manual
extension tube, so I sold it. The manual extension tube didn't couple the
aperture setting to the meter, so the meter needle would just float around,
not varying much with aperture setting. This was before I got the OM-2n,
which I suppose I could set to auto exposure mode and not worry about it.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright