RE: [OM] Re: Adaptall for OM4t

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Adaptall for OM4t
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 21:39:07 -0500
Doug,
There are indeed 2 versions of Tamron Adaptall 2  mounts for Olympus OM.
The original version has the designation OM on the mount and is the style
that can damage a 4 or 4T(i).

The problem arises in the placement of one of the mounting screws of the
mount adapter.  It passes right over the reset switch of the 4 and 4T as the
lens is mounted or removed.  If this screw is not covered (use a little
epoxy or other strong glue), mounting the lens with a quick twist can damage
the reset button.  Actually, over time, the reset button can almost be
sheared off.

The latest version (OL) has different placement of the mounting screws and
does not have the potential to damage the reset button.

You can check any Tamron mount, or any other lens for potentially damaging
the reset button by carefully noting placement of the screw hole and the
reset button on the OM body.   Slowly , repeat, slowly, mount the lens and
note where the screw hole will end up in relation to the button.  Some folks
even make a small mark on the lens with tape and note that position more
easily.

I have a couple of Tamron mounts that are of the older (OM) style.  I, like
others, have modified those mounts by putting strong glue over the screw
hole.  I have been using those lenses for over a year with no problem.  Be
sure to file or sand the glue so that it is flush with the rest of the lens
mount!

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx