[OM] Scanners & film

Subject: [OM] Scanners & film
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 23:58:21 -0800
I've been reading some threads about inexpensive desktop scanneres and
just wanted to add a note about trans film.  Presently I'm using a
Minolta Quick Scan 35 Plus at home and we have a Poloroid Sprint Scan
Plus and a couple of 4000's in my studio.  There are two of us who
continuously use the scanners in the studio. (another partner had a
Nikon 2000 but he left and took it with him).  Ok, this is what we have
dicovered in our own independent analysis.  None of our scanners
(including a UMAX Powerlook III flatbed) can scan Fuji Provia
(especailly at a half stop under!) nor do they work well with Fuji
Velvia.  We asked some other photograhers and recived the same
independent analysis.  Our press has no problems using these Fuji films
on there Crossfield Drum.  So we think the dyes in these films are just
way too out of the range for these desktop ccd scanners.  I almost
exclusively shoot a version of Kodak ES100 or Kodak negs.  My partner
almost exclusively shoots Agfa RSX.  This led me to e-mail the quality
control departments of some of the sanner manufacturers.  Only Minolta
responded and said they they mostly tested on Kodak stock. Polaroid said
they tested on various emulsions and recommended Polaroid trans film!
Nikon no response.  Nikon used to cross market their product with a Agfa
badge several years ago for what that's worth.

So it is my opinion that if you want the best results with
transparencies on an ccd desktop scanner, shoot with the most popular
Kodak films.

Another comment.  I see that Buy.com is selling a Canon optical 1200
dpi, 3.3 Dmax, flat bed for about $265.00. Sounds almost too good to be
true. There is an option for a trans unit for this thing.  Considering
the UMAX Powerlook III (this thing is great!) will cost almost $800 w/o
the trans unit and almost $1100 with the unit ... this sounds like a
bargain.  However my experience with Canon software and support has been
very poor over the many years I have been in this business.  Anybody
know anything about this Canon?

Phillip Franklin