Re: [OM] OM10 or OM-1N???

Subject: Re: [OM] OM10 or OM-1N???
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 12:06:52 EST
In a message dated 11/22/99 11:45:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jimmyb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Any thoughts?  I'm looking at buying my first Olympus camera, moving from
>  Minolta.  Used mostly for Fashion, Portrait and industrial landscape.
>
>  Contenders are the Pentax ME Super and K1000

You should probably be comparing systems, and not individual cameras. In
particular look at the lenses available. You will find Pentax K mount lenses
are fairly abundant, and Pentax has the advantage of providing an upgrade
path to AF bodies if that's where you want to go. Overall I think you will
find the Zuiko lenses to be of somewhat higher optical quality (IMHO, of
course).

The OM system is also more complete, and provides a unique level of
compatibility with things like focusing screens, motors, winders, and
accessory backs. If it's a choice between an OM-1n and an OM-10, I would go
for the OM-1n. It is more durable, and probably more readily repairable.

In summary, pick the system first, then pick the camera. First figure out
what kind(s) of lens(es) you want. I imagine a portrait lens (the Zuiko 85/2,
100/2 and 100/2.8 are all wonderful portrait lenses), something wide for your
landscapes, maybe a shift lens?  If you have some particular focal lengths in
mind let us know. You will get plenty of opinions on Zuiko glass here. Do the
do the same on the Pentax list (I assume there is a Pentax list). Check test
sites like photodo, or Gary Reese's lens tests
(http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm). Next  are there any
special capabilities you need? Fast motor drive operation? Bulk film backs?
Hold the cameras in your hands, work the controls. Which one feels best?

I realize this is an Olympus list, but I don't feel you would really go wrong
either way. I always felt the Pentax line (particularly the M series) is
philosophically closer to the OM system than any other camera line out there.
Small, light, easy to handle. I think Olympus was more successful in
extending the philosophy to the rest of the system: lenses, motors, winders,
etc.

I hope this helps more than it confuses!

Paul Schings