RE: [OM] new user

Subject: RE: [OM] new user
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 03:32:40 +0000
At 02:25 11/23/99 , Lou wrote:

>re: a good startup flash unit for a OM1n and a 50/3.5 Zuiko ?

The 50/3.5 is a macro so I'm left wondering what you want to photograph
with a flash unit.

If you need a ring flash for macro use:
One of the Olympus ring flashes (T-8 or T-10) should work, but must be used
in manual mode if used with a "1n."  They are not that common on the used
market, so you would have to be patient in finding one in good condition.
There are also the Sunpak 8R and 12R ringlights, but I do not know that
much about them or how well they would work on a "1n."

For general flash work:
The T-32 is a good flash, but you would have to use it in Normal Auto or
Manual mode . . . its TTL capability cannot be used on a "1n."  Two good
third party flashes would work as well as a T-32.  The Vivitar 283 and
Sunpak 383 Super are both workhorse flash units and have been around for
some time.  Both have auto modes with sensors on the front.  I have a
Sunpak 383 that is used with a couple cameras other than the OM-4 and its
auto mode using the front sensor works *very* well.  The Vivitar 283 has a
legendary reputation along with the 285 (a 283 with a couple more gizmos on
it that most people would not use much).

-- John