Re: [OM] More info on Prototype Zuikos?

Subject: Re: [OM] More info on Prototype Zuikos?
From: wiliam.wagenaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:08:09 +0100

Skip Williams wrote:
-----
>I just got a copy of the OM-1 Brochure dated 12-73  (7312-M30).  The cover
>is black with the OM-1 Logo in raised white letters on a beige/black
>marbled square.  Pictures inside show the OM-1 w/o the MD logo, but the
>text all says OM-1 MD.
>
>As Hans van Veluwen has pointed out in on the e-SIF and here, there were
>more lenses made than came to market in the early days of the OM
>system.  The two Zuiko Lens Group pictures in this brochure clearly show
>the 300/6.3 and the 400/4.5 that were never marketed.  In addition, one of
>the group pictures shows the mysterious 90-250 F/? that may have ultimately
>morphed into the 80-250/5.  The lens is also shown in the brochure's
>OM-System chart.  Curious that the 400/4.5 and 300/6.3 are NOT in the
>system chart.  But the 90-250 definitely looks larger in diameter than an
>80-250/5.  Maybe it was an F/4 or F/4.5??
-----

Maybe it woul be a nice idea to scan the brochure and send it in to greg heier
who manages the Olympus Ducumentation archive. I know he only wants manuals, but
I think it would be nice to share the pic's of these "legendary"prototype lenses
to the group. This story has sure made me curious for these lenses again.

Skip, would you be so nice to scan them?

Greg, would you be so nice to allow them on your pages?

I hope many of you have the same idea.

Wiliam Wagenaar

P.S. On Ebay there is a lens for sale which is claimed to be a zuiko 80-200mm
(f3.5-f4.5 If I recall correctly) I have never heard of a lens like this from
olympus. The pictue sure looks like a zuiko original, but is not sharp enough to
read the inscriptions. Come to think of it the aperture ring was close to the
mount. I'll check again!  also mailed the seller with some questions but have
not heard anything from him yet.