Re: [OM] Scanners & film

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanners & film
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 06:22:07 -0700
At 12:48 AM 11/23/99 -0800, Phillip Franklin wrote:
>Garth & Joel,
>
>I agree that both Provia and Velvia shot in close to optimal conditions
>will scan reasonably well on an desktop ccd scanner, however, shoot
>either in an interior with uneven/mixed lighting and shadows or at night
>with mixed lighting (normally used in and around modern buildings) and
>you will see where these films (especially the newer Provia) will go
>nuts on a ccd scanner.

Phillip;

See the photo at

     http://www.enable.org/~gallery/subpages/wood/abbey.html

for my reply.  The text accompanying it says it was shot on Velvia, but I went
back and checked the actual slide -- it was, in fact, a batch of Provia I took
with me to France (there were also two rolls of Velvia, but this image wasn't
from either roll).  I performed no tweaking of the actual image at all (other
than shrinking its physical dimensions, of course), just used the Polacolor
Insight software to make sure the scanner was properly adjusting to the dynamic
range of the slide (since it couldn't integrate to 18 0rey anyways).  In
effect, all I told the scanner to do was to render the darkest shadow as
'black' and the lightest highlight as 'white.'  The rendering of the final
image isn't perfect, but it certainly doesn't display the gross mis-renderings
you seem to be describing.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/