Re: [OM] Scanners & film

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanners & film
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:31:36 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Phillip Franklin wrote:

> Even the best ccd scanners are really very
> limited when compared to a PMT (drum) scanner.  Many of the emulsions
> were really designed to be scanned on a PMT scanner and were never
> expected to be scanned on a ccd. I see that most hobbyist photograhers
> make these mistakes when using the wrong films with these ccd scanners.
> My personal belief is that most of these scanners just work much better
> with negative films rather than chromes.

I agree wholeheartedly with that last statement, from my own experience
(Nikon LS20).  I've had enormous trouble getting detail out of the
shadows in contrasty Kodachromes.  With the output curve turned right up
from the bottom end right through the middle I nearly always run into
dark-current noise problems and odd colour casts.  I get much better
results out of negatives, which have to be really badly overexposed in
the highlights before the dark current noise becomes a problem and have
much better latitude to play with colour correction.

Perversely, I have managed to get quite good detail out of some severely
pushed (and therefore v. high contrast) Ektachromes.  Funny old world.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |